Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Thanksgiving



Most every Tuesday I go to our local nursing home to share a few stories with 8-10 of the residents. I have found that childrens' books go over best with them. This picture shows 3 of the books I shared today in honor of Thanksgiving. We, of course, sang the words in the first book shown. I was impressed with how well my "sleepers" stayed alert to the middle book, How Many Days to America by Eve Bunting as it was a more serious book with more words in it. I do use my years of being involved with young children as well as some drama experience to "tell" the stories with as much drama as possible to hold their attention. The 3rd book in this picture is a spin off from the book entitled The House That Jack Built with a much different ending. The ending allows the reader to really project his or her voice which definitely woke up any of my audience who might have been dosing off.


An added "treat" for the residents is when I stop reading and go to their well tuned piano to play music for them. The song I always end with is one entitled "In His Time" and then I usually read a brief inspirational poem by Helen Steiner Rice who is my absolutely favorite poet!!


A brief update on my reading of Going Rogue. There are only about 5 actual chapters in the book but with several subchapters (if that is a word). I am now into Chapter 3 and I can officially go on record as saying I would never, ever want to try and run for any political office at any level!!!!That being said, I again must applaud Sarah Palin for her stamina, integrity and willingness to go against seemingly insurmountable odds in this chaotic world we are now living in.


No comments:

Post a Comment