Monday, January 4, 2010

heaven vs. vampires


Having read the 4 books in the Twilight series and understanding the "attraction" this series has on females in particular I was interested in hearing different comments on just why individuals did like the series. Mostly the responses were related to the unique love between Edward a very nice vampire and Bella, a human, and the friendship between Bella and Jacob, a werewolf, but one comment really caused me to look into books about heaven. The comment was that this particular individual liked the idea of being able to "live forever".
Well, if you are a true believer in Heaven as a real place as I believe (if you're not you may want to do your own research) then you know that there is a much better future or place to "live forever" than the kind of life the Twilight books would have you live. Since I work with young girls at a Wednesday night Missionette group, I and a fellow teacher have found the two books below very useful in explaining life in Heaven . The book Someday Heaven by Larry Libby is a simple, pictoral book for very young children and the book by Randy Alcorn , Heaven for Kids uses a question and answer format that is not just for kids. I and several adult friends of mine have read this book and find it very enlightening and informative. It truly makes you look forward to the better place God has prepared for His believers. Especially in light of all the turmoil and disturbing issues of the world today.
There are many other good books on this subject including books by people who have actually had glimpses of heaven due to major accidents or illnesses. A fairly new one is by Don Piper entitled 90 Minutes in Heaven. I can remember a moment in my early childhood where I had the horrible thought that when I would die that it would mean I would never, never, ever be alive again!! Never seemed unbearable to accept. How glad I am to now know there is an awesome future ahead of me to look forward to. Just read Randy Alcorn's book and see if you don't agree with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment