Friday, March 12, 2010

Dick Francis/ horses



Dick Francis, a prolific author, was recently added to the list of authors who have died in just the past few weeks of 2010. He was an English horse racing crime writer and retired jockey. I must admit I have not yet read one of the 35 books we have by him in this library although I am an avid horse lover. That is the reason I have added this picture of an Indian war horse that stands on a table in my home. I also once owned a thoroughbred horse that often grazed on the very land this library now stands. This horse statue has a rather unique origin. Several years ago while living in New Mexico, an art fad was started to create a variety of "painted horses" (probably similar to the barn quilts here in Iowa). There were then, all over the state of N.M., horse statues designed with all kinds of art work from the more natural to the surreal. They could be purchased in all sizes but the lifesize ones were the ones that were judged and could be seen in various stores or buildings throughout the state.

No comments:

Post a Comment