Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Carlsbad Cavern's Jim White memorial







During my recent visit to Carlsbad, N.M. I visited this new memorial to the somewhat infamous rancher/farmer who is credited with discovering the Carlsbad Caverns that are located about 20 miles south of Carlsbad. It is hard to imagine someone willing to climb down into the then never discovered caverns since there were not the electric lights one can now depend on to light the way. Also, as depicted here, Jim White had only a rope ladder to use compared to the nicely paved walkway tourists can now use - not to mention there is even an elevator for the less agile. Having lived in this area most of my adult life including my college days I have visited the caverns more than once but have never taken the more primitive trip that is now available for the more hardy cavers since additional cave openings have been discovered. I prefer now to visit the large gift shop and restaurant at the top that has a spectacular view of the surrounding desert all the way into Mexico "on a clear day"!

No comments:

Post a Comment