Wednesday, March 2, 2011

The loss of a great tree!


What a loss will be realized later this summer from the loss of this huge tree that was recently struck by lightening. There is some question by some of us, myself included, as to why all of the tree had to be cut down. Why couldn't just the damaged part be trimmed. You can see from these pictures that the huge pieces stacked are NOT hollow. The area this tree shaded was in a prime location for people to sit under and around during our annual summer carnival stage events. Now everyone will have to either use umbrellas to protect themselves from the heat or just suffer without any shade covering. I'm sure the two houses across the street will also miss all the shade this tree provided. A new tree will probably be planted but how long will anyone be able to benefit from it?
UPDATE: I have now heard the reason for cutting the entire tree down although I still believe it will be missed by at least the carnival spectators this summer. Liability issues are at the crux of the matter. Nowadays that is a sad state of affairs but one that is very real and costly if not heeded..



1 comment:

  1. I agree. That beautiful tree was a horrible loss to the beauty of the shoreline view of Black Hawk Lake. I wish I could have had the chance to vote 'NO' to it's removal! (was there a vote?)

    Many damaged tree's CAN be saved in a very safe manner with the advanced equipment available to our society today. It was probably just as dangerous cutting it down as it would be to trim it properly and save it.

    I was ignorant of the tree's fate and mourn it's loss. It shaded me on stage long ago when I was in the Little Miss Blackhawk Contest; as it did my daughter when she competed there also.

    As well as shade the tree there has provided a thrill for many of us children and adults alike as we spun so near it's beautiful leaves while riding the octopus every summer at the Water Carnival.We spun higher ands higher, half fearing we would fly off into it's branches, half dearly wanting to touch it or take a leaf!

    The tree would alwas tease us remaining just a heartbeat away as we spun back down to earth and around again! Whatever can you think of that could bring such joy and excitement, as well as peace and contentment at the same time? For those reasons where the tree was mattered as much as what it was.

    The tree was old and damaged; aren't we all damaged somehow? Don't we all deseverve to be repaired and share the sunshine again...or in the case of this one old tree...to shade the ones we love.

    I mourn the loss of life of this beautiful old tree. I am sure as many people agree as there are rings in it's sad old stump. I for one will treasure it's memory.

    Carma S. Reinert

    ReplyDelete